Saturday 10 January 2009

It's Coffee Time!



Well, it's mostly tea that is on the menu in this house - but there is a small jar of coffee for those who prefer it.
What has been happening in my part of the world this week. Well, I am now 30 weeks pregnant, and feeling it. (so great to hear the news that Rachel Anne is joining the Hot Mammas Club again!). It is still hot, but at least the monsoon rains have started which does cool things down a bit (although bringing with it the frustration of entertaining a nearly 2 year old indoors all day!).
This has been my first week without daycare children, or a husband, in the house all day! On the whole, I have enjoyed being able to potter around and do the housework without 4 children under the age of 3 to entertain as well. Naomi loves to help Mummy do housework - I am going to have to get her her own spray bottle with water in it, because she gets upset that I won't let her spray the cleaning products!
On the down side, I was somewhat shocked to find out that I failed the Diabetes Exclusion Test that I took at 29 weeks. I shouldn't have been so stunned (my maternal grandfather had Type 2 diabetes, and one of my older sisters was pretty close to gestational diabetes in her last pregnancy). I now have to do the full 2-hour Glucose Tolerance Test to determine how serious it might be. Ick - having blood drawn 3 times in 2 hours.
The hardest part is that my wonderful husband is a Type 1 diabetic. I know the will power and lifestyle modification that requires. I am just not ready to give up chocolate!! Even as I received the phone call from the doctor's surgery, I looked in the fridge and saw a peppermint Aero bar, half a packet of chocolate Tim Tams (the world's best choc biscuits), and the box of Lindt chocs that Brad gave me for Christmas!! Does chocolate freeze well??? How can I stare them all in the face for 10 weeks without breaking down?!?!?!?
Anyway, I could rattle on about Naomi's broken sleep patterns (see this week's posts). But I won't bore you all any further -- what has been happening at your place this week?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for your health during these final weeks of your pregnancy.

Nikki said...

I failed the one hour test, too, but I was perfectly normal for the three hour. (We have to do three hour ones, here.) There is still a good chance that you will be fine. Don't despair, yet!

Rachel Anne said...

Oh, what a harsh blow. I know that's the last thing you would want to have to deal with! I will pray that this will pass and that you will be able to indulge in your penchant for chocolate.

I really love the artwork in your other post! How creative!! They turned out so awesome.

I hope you're feeling good and the the next weeks will be sweet.

Anonymous said...

I'm 21 weeks now. We know a few people who are expecting in March as well. How exciting! Our 1st will be 2 next month.

I was fine for my 1st pregnancy. My sister had gestational diabetes. Hubby loves ice cream, so I indulge with him on many occasions. And the holiday sweets didn't help. I'm hoping I'll pass the test. It doesn't sound too fun to even take the 2-hr test. I hope you'll be okay. Take care!