Friday 1 May 2009

Delicious apple cake


I recently saw this recipe on KimC's blog, Life in a Shoe. It sounded delicious, and also had few steps, making it perfect for a cooking project to do with a 2 year old.

I am pleased to report that the results were just as good as it sounded, and it was indeed a good kids project - plenty of measuring, tipping and stirring, and then just straight into the oven.

So the recipe is:

German apple cake

2 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar (I used brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsps cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of peeled, sliced apples (I used 1 large can of pie apples instead)

Beat the eggs and oil together in a large bowl, until well mixed. Add all other dry ingredients, except the apples. Mix together well - the mixture will be very thick at this stage. Stir in the apples - mixture will soften up nicely now. Pour into a 9 x 13 cake pan, and bake for 45 - 50 mins at 170 deg C (350 Fahrenheit). This does make a large size cake - halve the ingredients for a regular round or square cake.

Serve warm with cream or icecream. Or cold, straight from the fridge (as I am eating it at this very moment!)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Oooh! that looks good! I'm going to have to try that!

Aimee said...

I was so busy thinking about the cake that I forgot to tell you...I left you a little award on my blog. :)