Monday 18 February 2008

Found a bargain!

Brad worked on Saturday, so I found myself driving to the shops with Naomi, at around 8.30am. On the way I happened to pass a sign advertising a garage sale. Maybe it is the wee drop of canny Scottish blood in my veins, but I do love to find a bargain. I quite enjoy rummaging through garage sales! But as it is not really Brad's thing, and sleep on weekend mornings is at a premium, I rarely get the chance.


But here was my opportunity - footloose & fancy free, and with money in my purse! Browsing through the items, I spotted a lovely little set of shelves & drawers for a kids room - but sadly, it was already sold. Then I hit paydirt.


These pillowcases were bundled together with a sign saying "Pair of pillowcases, $2". Seriously?!?! I liked the fabric, could see that they were mariner's compass quilt block patterns, and snapped them up. When I got them home and had a closer inspection, it is clear that these are hand-quilted! Someone's mother / aunt / grandmother has put hours of work into them.... and I got it all for the princely sum of $2!!!


PS -- please ignore the fact that we have a pink floral bedspread on the bed today... I was so excited by my find that I had to use them straight away -- matching linen, or not!

4 comments:

Little House By The Sea said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by my blog. The pillow cases are lovely and such a bargain. Well done.

Sarah x

Patricia said...

The pillowcases were quite a bargain! I think so anyway... not really sure what your money is against the Canadian dollar though. Imagine, yardsaling in February - or, bargain hunting! We have had snowstorm and rainstorm and have been keeping all the water at bay and OUT of the house. It is so dreary and gray and wet. Yuck. I want spring!

Barbara said...

Beautiful bargain. I think I will never get to do this design - far too complicated. Sad that they ended up for sale for $2. Lucky for you though!

Kara said...

Ohhh, I love a good bargain! The pillowcases are wonderful.